Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Friendship

Sunday at church, our pastor spoke of friendship and how that applies to Christian life. In 2 Corinthians 6:14 it says "Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have rightoeusness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? "


As he was saying, this doesn't mean you are not nice or do not pray for these people (unbelievers), but you do not have intimacy with them. You do not fellowship with them. So many now days try to make church relevant for the world and change scripture to make it more "appealing" to the lost. It cannot and should not be watered down. The message of what Christ did for us should stand alone as it is an awesome, loving act.

It's not that we should be stand-offish, or non-friendly, just that we should reserve our deep friendship with believers, thereby keeping ourselves pure too. The way he explained it was so good. I have heard it explained before, and I have been guilty of being exclusive, or legalistic in the worlds eyes. It is something to truly think about and strive for.

It makes fresh again Mr. Botkins teaching of representing Christ and my husband's household well when out in public. He talks of his daughters and how they know they represent his household when they are out. He has truly lovely daughters, and my girls enjoys listening to them on cd and dvd. We must remember we are representing Christ to others.

After church we went to Sam's. We keep my nephews on the weekend, so there was 8 of us. A lady with 8 kids of her own stopped us and told us how nice our family looked just as I was feeling like the kids were being a little wild. She was telling me 2 of her kids are about to get married, and another went to college this year, so she feels lost with *only* 5 at home right now. She was so sweet and told me to cherish these days, and that the Lord has blessed me indeed. It was so nice to speak with her like that. She asked that I pray for many grandchildren for her, and a couple more children for me. We normally don't go to Sam's on Sundays, but with gas prices, it makes more sense to go then because we are halfway there after church. I was blessed going that day, and I hope she was too. I kind of chuckled to myself too after our sermon that day.

I am still working on my camera and picture situation. I think we need a new cord, and I plan on picking that up on Thursday when we are out.

No comments: